Cabot Tower was built in 1897 to commemorate the 4th centenary of the voyage from Bristol of John Cabot to Canada in his ship The Matthew on 24th June 1497.
Cabot Tower from Brandon Hill Park
The tower stands 32 metres (105 feet) tall and was designed by the architect William Venn Gough in the Tudor Gothic revival style. There is an internal spiral staircase and two viewing platforms, which are open to the public. Cabot Tower is constructed from snecked red sandstone and limestone. Funding for the tower was from public subscriptions.
Cabot Tower is located at the end of George Street in the city of Bristol nature reserve at Brandon Hill Park and is a grade II listed building. Great views of the City of Bristol can be seen from the top, which is approximately 102 metres (334 feet) above sea level.